This post brought to you by Sam’s Club . The content and opinions expressed below are that of The Traveling Praters.
This post brought to you by Sam’s Club. All opinions are 100% my own.
As you begin to prepare for those summer road trips, don’t overlook the maintenance of your vehicle, including tires.
My family has experienced our share of tire woes on the road, and I’ll be the first to tell you that blowouts and flat tires aren’t only inconvenient, they’re also dangerous. Who wants to experience a blowout in rush hour traffic on the Interstate? Or deal with a flat tire in the middle of the night on a back road miles from civilization? I’ve dealt with both and after those experiences, you can be sure that I check my tires for wear before we travel. And if that means purchasing new tires before we hit the road, so be it.
One summer, I had two blowouts- in a conversion van! That was not fun and could have been a very stressful situation. My family was on our way to a hotel to spend the night before an early morning flight to Seattle where we would sail for Alaska on a cruise ship. Thankfully, we decided to spend the night in a hotel near the airport. We were on the way to the hotel when our back tire blew out. To make matters worse, our spare had a hole and was nearly flat. We wobbled our way to the hotel who graciously allowed us to park our van in their parking lot for nine days until we returned from our cruise. We arranged for a cab to pick us up in the morning. He was 45 minutes early and impatient. We rushed to the airport only to find our flight was canceled and we wouldn’t fly out for another seven hours. I can assure you that is not the way one wants to begin a vacation.
Here are Six Easy Steps to Ensure your Tires are Road Trip Ready
· Check your tires for signs of uneven tread wear. This could indicate that the tires are out of balance, that the vehicle is out of alignment or has worn components such as shocks or struts.
· Make sure that your tires are free of debris. You can pick up debris such as loose stones, glass or metal that could burrow into the tire to cause damage.
· Check the tire for cracks, holes, and bulges.
· Check the tire pressure. Properly inflated tires allow better braking and handling of the vehicle and improve gas mileage.
· Check your tires for missing valve caps and replace them if needed.
· Check your tire tread with a penny. Place a penny headfirst into several grooves along your tire. If you always see the top of Lincoln’s head, you don’t have enough tread and should replace your tire.
Do you need to replace your tires? No, fear. It doesn’t need to be as expensive as you think.
A Sam’s Club membership can get you unbeatable summer deals on everything- including auto & tire services! The Sam’s Club Dare to Compare all-in tire offer is truly unbeatable. Sam’s Club offers the best tire brands at the best all-in price, matching offer on Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich and Pirelli tires.
Sam’s Club also offers a Tire Installation Package with each tire purchase. For a low $15 per tire ($25 per dually tire), purchasing members will receive the following benefits and services as long as they remain an active member of Sam’s Club:
· Tire Mounting
· Tire Lifetime Balancing
· Tire Lifetime Rotation
· A Value Stem
· No Charge Tire Lifetime Flat Repair
· 24-hour Emergency Roadside Service
* Complete terms and conditions of all Sam’s Club warranties and services can be obtained at any Sam’s Club Tire and Battery Center location What a perfect deal for upcoming summer road trips! Sam’s Club works hard every day to save their members money on tires. Let Sam’s Club help you save and get summer ready today! Their tagline is “We offer the best tire brands at the best “all-in” price, and we’ll match it!*”How our “Dare to Compare” offer works: Bring a valid “all-in” quote from a tire sales and installation retailer to your Sam’s Club Tire and Battery Center service counter. The quote must be printed on dealer/retailer letterhead and dated within the past seven business days. The tire must be the same brand, same line, same load index and speed rating (service description) as the tire intended for purchase at Sam’s Club. Sam’s Club carries some club-specific tire lines – in these cases, Sam’s Club will compare the club-specific tire line to the equivalent general-market tire line.
Sam’s Club considers the following tire lines to be equivalent and will price match accordingly:
Club-Specific Tire Model General-Market Tire Model
BFGoodrich Touring T/ABFGoodrich Advantage T/A Michelin Defender XT Michelin Defender Michelin X Radial LT2 Michelin LTX M/S2 BF Goodrich 5/6/2015 5/31/2015 $50/$70 off set of 4
Michelin 5/14/20157/5/2015 $70 off set of 4
Pirelli 5/15/2015 7/12/2015 $80 Instant Savings
Goodyear 6/24/2015 8/31/2015 $70 off set of 4