We’re sharing our favorite options for the best Hocking Hills romantic getaway for two. Where to eat, sleep and play from someone who has been there! And don’t forget, we have more options for romantic getaways in the Midwest.”
If you are looking for a romantic weekend in central Ohio, look no further than the Hocking Hills region. With natural beauty and a thriving tourism industry, this is one of the most underrated destinations in the Midwest. This outdoor adventure hub of Ohio offers many romantic things to do, even if you are visiting Hocking Hills in winter.”
Romantic Things to do in Hocking Hills
The natural beauty and quaint towns surrounding Hocking Hills make this a romantic destination to visit. Here are a few suggestions of romantic things to do in Hocking Hills:
- Hocking Hills State Park – is there anything more romantic than a walk in the woods, or a picnic at the base of a waterfall? Hocking Hills State Park has several walking trails of varying difficulty and length, so there is something for everyone.
- Wine Tasting – the Hocking Hills region has several wineries and tasting rooms. At Manchester Hill Winery, the tasting room serves light bites. Rockside Winery serves small plates and pizza and has live music on Saturdays. The Hocking Hills Winery offers wine flights, finger foods and the option to have local food delivered while you enjoy wine around their fireplace. They also offer their incredible wine slushies to go so you can sip them on the deck of your cabin.
- Hocking Hills Moonshine (519 E Front Street, Logan) – wine not your style? Hocking Hills has a moonshine distillery, which you can tour. Tasting is also available for those looking to take some moonshine home!
- Bicycle Rental – Ohio is famous for the rails to trails networks throughout the state, and the Hocking Hills region is no exception. Black Diamond Bicycles rents all kinds of bikes for a cruise on the Hockhocking Pathway just outside the shop doors.
- Starbrick Gallery & Gifts (21 W Columbus Street, Nelsonville) – a Victorian home which exhibits artwork from over 30 regional artists. Check the calendar for special events and exhibitions.
- Hocking Hills Scenic Air Tours (66285 Airport Road, New Plymouth) – choose from customized flights of 20 minutes to one hour; sunset and evening flights are also available.
- Stuart’s Opera House (52 Public Square, Nelsonville) – this 19th-century opera house hosts over 75 performances each year in Nelsonville’s Historic Arts District.
- Couples Massage – choose from one of several local spas to indulge in a couple’s massage. You can visit a spa and enjoy relaxing there, or have a massage therapist come to your lodging; both options are available in the Hocking Hills region.
- Outdoor Adventure Activities – if getting your adrenaline going is your idea of the perfect date, then Hocking Hills will not disappoint. There are several outfitters in the area who can take you rock climbing, ziplining or canoeing.
- Go on a covered bridge hunt. You’ll find several covered bridges in the area where you can stop for photos or even enjoy a picnic lunch.
Romantic Places to Eat in Hocking Hills
After a day of exploring the Hocking Hills area, you’ll have worked up an appetite. In addition to the wineries mentioned above, here are a few more suggestions for a romantic dinner spot in Hocking Hills.
- Urban Grille Pub (14405 Country Club Lane, Logan) – the Urban Grille Pub at the Hocking Hills Golf Club has fine dining in a casual setting, patio seating and live music.
- Utopia Brick Oven Restaurant (117 W Main Street, Logan) – Italian and New American cuisine with live music on the patio in summer.
- Kindred Spirits (21190 State Road 374, Logan) – the restaurant at the Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls offers a seasonally changing menu of classic American food.
- Rhapsody Restaurant (18 Public Square, Nelsonville) – in partnership with the Hocking College Culinary Arts program, Rhapsody Restaurant offers fine dining in downtown Nelsonville, featuring local Appalachian cuisine, such as steaks and chops.
- Zoe (24 E State Street, Athens) – New American cuisine in downtown Athens, with locally grown ingredients, served in a classy setting.
Romantic Places to Stay in Hocking Hills
A romantic getaway isn’t complete without a cozy place to lay your head at night. Check out these romantic places to stay in Hocking Hills.
- Bourbon Ridge Retreat (Goat Run Honey Fork Road, Logan) – choose from three lodges and two luxury cabins set amongst 200 secluded acres. Read more about our stay at these romantic luxury cabins in Hocking Hills.
- The Rush Resort (20393 Webster Road, Laurelville) – this gorgeous lodge offers luxury lodging on 20 acres of wooded land near Laurelville. Read more about our visit to this luxury lodge in Hocking Hills.
- Laurel Run Farm (21541 Laurel Run Road, Nelsonville) – another luxury lodge in Hocking Hills is at Lauren Run Farm, which can house up to 17 guests in seven bedrooms. Read more about our stay at Laurel Run Farm Lodge.
- A Georgian Manner B&B (29055 Evans Road, Logan) – adults-only B&B set in a beautiful manor house overlooking Lake Logan. Voted one of the top five Bed and Breakfasts in Ohio.
- Glenlaurel Inn (14940 Mt Olive Road, Rockbridge) – choose from 21 private accommodation options, complete with Scottish decor. Read about our stay in the MacDougal Croft Cottage.
- Hocking Hills State Park Cabins (19852 State Route 664, Logan) – for a budget-friendly romantic lodging option, check out the cabins for rent at Hocking Hills State Park. Nearly 40 cabins are available to rent inside the park, offering easy access to the best of Hocking Hills.
- Ravenwood Castle (65666 Bethel Rd, New Plymouth)- enjoy a stay in the castle or in one of the surrounding buildings in the village. Unique and secluded, this is a location where you can truly get away from it all.
Have you planned a romantic getaway in the Hocking Hills region? What would you add to this list?
© 2019, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.