I was 15 when the movie Space Camp aired on TV. I wasn’t the least bit interested in science or rockets and my knowledge of all things ‘space’ was minimal. Yet there was something so appealing about the movie that I literally dreamt of going to Space Camp for months. I’m sure the fact that I thought Tate Donovan was hot didn’t have anything to do with my affinity for the movie, right?
When I had an opportunity to experience a shortened version of Space Camp through a Tweetup at the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama, I was ecstatic.
Not only was I going to fulfill a teenage dream, I was also going to discover firsthand what the lure of Space Camp was all about, and I was excited!
Here is my list of 10 reasons to send your child to Space Camp.
1. Because you never got to go.
I’m not sure why it is, but as a parent, sometimes I want to indulge my children with some of the things that I wasn’t able to do when I was growing up. That doesn’t mean that I always do, but sometimes, just sometimes, I want them to experience more than I did.
2. Your child will be challenged.
Space Camp will challenge your child, in a good way. Space Camp is nationally recognized as an outstanding educational program when it comes to math, science and technology.
3. Your child will learn the definition of teamwork.
Your child will be assigned to a group of peers who they will work closely with for the entire Space Camp program. No matter how they hit it off with the other participants, in order to complete a successful mission, they will need to master the ability to work together as a team. Successfully completing Space Camp is not about “ME” it’s absolutely a “WE” endeavor.
4. The counselors are AMAZING.
The counselors at Space Camp are carefully screened and LOVE what they do. They are passionate about the core values of Space Camp and instilling that excitement and motivation in your child.
5. Space Camp has really cool simulators.
Where else can you feel like you’re walking on Mars or the moon, navigating a tumble spin in the multi-axis trainer or blasting to 4G’s?
6. You get to wear a space suit.
Who says dress up is only for girls or preschoolers?
7. You may meet a real astronaut!
Believe it or not, real astronauts stop by the US Space and Rocket Center all the time.
8. The missions are out of this world!
Trainees will step into the role of mission control, launch and land the space shuttle or conduct experiments in the space station during simulated shuttle missions. Believe me, this is a big event!
9. Space Camp is fun!
And if those nine reasons weren’t good enough, I have one more.
10. Here’s one Black Friday Special you won’t want to miss!
This Black Friday, November 28, 2014 at 12:01 a.m. until Cyber Monday, December 1, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. CST there are three ways to save on the cost of Space Camp.
- $200 off weeklong overnight Space Camp®, Aviation Challenge® Campand Space Camp Robotics Use discount code BF14C. Discount is for programs occurringMay 24, 2015, through August 28, 2015.
- $200 off Space Camp and Aviation Challenge Family Camp Programs Use discount code BF14F. Must register a minimum of one adult and one child.
- $100 off Adult Space Academy® and Adult Aviation Challenge Camp. Use discount code BF14A.
You’ll find more information about these Space Camp deals and learn how you can save on Space Camp gear when you visit www.spacecamp.com/blackfriday .
Now, who’s ready to blast off?
© 2012 – 2014, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.