The Traveling Praters presents Travel Inspired Living.
Planning a trip and finding things to do in New York City with teens can be intimidating and overwhelming. How do you know what to see and what to do with so many fantastic options? I’ve been right where you are but now that I’ve made the trek to NYC with my kids, it’s one place that I am repeatedly drawn too- and so are my teens!
This post contains affiliate links.
I’d always dreamed of visiting New York City but didn’t set foot in Manhattan until my oldest son wanted to see the Big Apple nearly seven years ago. I wish I wouldn’t have waited so long to explore such a great city and now I’m making up for lost time, having visited many times since. To help you plan a trip you and your teens will both love, it’s important to select your attractions carefully. I’ve put together some ideas of what to do in NYC to get you started.
35 Things to do in New York City with Teens
- Visit your teen’s favorite store.
- Grab a slice of pizza.
- Have your picture taken in Times Square.
- Ride the free Staten Island Ferry.
- Hail a taxi.
- Pose with Dum Dum at the Museum of Natural History.
- Take a stroll through Central Park.
- Wash your hands at Sabon in Soho.
- Ride the subway.
- Walk the Highline.
Ride the Ferris wheel inside Toys R Us.Sadly, this iconic NYC store has closed. Instead, stroll along the boardwalk on Coney Island or rest your feet on a NYC TV & Movie Tour.
- Watch a Broadway Show.
- Ride the carousel in Central Park.
- Walk or bike across the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Visit the galleries at the MoMA or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Slurp down a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity 3.
- Get your candy fix at Dylan’s Candy Bar.
- Head to the top of the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center.
- Watch a taping of Good Morning America or the Today Show.
- Visit one of the many cathedrals.
- Pay your respects at the National 9/11 Memorial.
- Watch a parade.
- Skate in Rockefeller Center.
- Experience something new and eat at one of the ethnic eateries.
- Visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.
- Take your picture with the bull in the Financial District.
- Eat your way through the Chelsea Market.
- Purchase a souvenir from a street vendor.
- Learn about NYC at the Tenement Museum or the Museum of New York City.
- Visit the free Fashion Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- Take the audio tour at Grand Central Station.
- Grab a Cannoli in Brooklyn.
- Sample chocolates at Max Brenner’s Chocolate by the Bald Guy.
- Check out the latest technology with a visit to The Apple Store.
- And finally, take a tour of Manhattan or one of the other boroughs.
So put on your most comfortable walking shoes, grab your camera and hit the streets of New York City with teens and make some memories that will last a lifetime.
THE Resource you shouldn’t leave Home Without
If you’re going to be traveling in New York City with teens, you’ll need a great map. Frommer’s New York City Day by Day is the best resource I’ve found. This guidebook can provide dining, lodging, and attraction information but THE reason I suggest it is because of the pull out map that is included in the book. I’ve used the map on each of my visits to NYC and have lent my book and map out more times than I can count. This book will be the best $10 you’ll spend when planning your trip. Trust me on this.
Save time and money on your trip to New York City with Teens:
- The New York CityPASS can save you up to 40% on the top attractions in the city- click here to learn more and learn how much you could save.
- Want to rest your feet and take in some sights (highly recommended)? Click here to Get the lowest prices on New York City Hop-on Hop-off Tours.
- The New York City coupon book from Entertainment.com can save you money on food, attractions, and lodging- check it out here.
- Relax and take a guided bike tour through Central Park. We have a coupon to save you $20! Learn how here.
If you’re spending a few nights in the city, you may want to Compare New York City Hotel Reviews & Ratings to find the Best Hotel Deal! My daughter and I stayed at The Yotel which was really fun and trendy, but not for everyone. Make sure you read my post to find out if it’s for you. ——> The Yotel: Hip and Trendy Lodging in New York City
Where to Stay in New York City with Teens:
- Save up to 30% off New York City hotels- learn more here.
- Save on New York hotels with Booking.com- click here for savings.
- The Cambria Suites in Chelsea puts you close to the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and Macy’s Herald Square. Save on your room with this deal- click to learn more.
More Posts on Things to do in NYC:
Pin this for later:
© 2013 – 2018, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.