This post is sponsored by the Kalahari Resorts.
The Kalahari Resort and Convention Center in Sandusky is the biggest hotel in Ohio, the largest conference center in the Midwest and the largest indoor waterpark in the United States. If that isn’t exciting enough, the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky Ohio is now better than ever!
The authentically-African all-under-one-roof family vacation destination provides a “beyond expectations” experience in the balmy, always sunny, 84- degree temperatures.
The 173,000 square foot indoor waterpark features thrilling slides, a water coaster, lazy river, a wave pool, a special kid’s areas and so much more.
The Kalahari waterpark is ideal for family vacations and getaways and truly has something for everyone from on-site kids’ activities that range from crafts to character experiences, to the Big Game Room arcade with indoor glow golf, to the outdoor waterpark feature that recently unveiled five new slides to accompany the Zip Line Tour and ropes course and 77,000 square-foot outdoor pool.
Gamers will enjoy the new Storm Chaser slide which is a combination of a waterslide and video game- the ultimate adventure. Select your username, music and sideboard then enter the chute for a riding experience tailored just for you. Earn points when the lights on your sideboard correspond to the colored lights in the tube. Challenge your family to a little friendly competition to see who gets the best score.
Finally, let’s not forget mom and dad. While dad is watching the kids, mom can plan an escape to the Spa Kalahari and Salon with Halotherapy and then return the favor, so dad can relax as he hangs out in the adults only hot tub.
Here are a few Tips to Help You Enjoy a Visit to the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky Ohio
- The Kalahari has incredible on-site restaurants that you’ll want to experience but you can also save money when you pack your own snacks and drinks.
- Food is permitted in the waterpark so grab a pizza and table to avoid getting dressed and leaving the park.
- Rest up at night so you can get an early start. Take advantage of fewer lines in the morning to ride the larger and new rides without much of a wait.
- Enjoy the lazy river during busier times in the park, use that opportunity to explore the resort beyond the waterpark, or take a nap.
- The Kalahari provides life jackets and floaties aren’t permitted so leave your stash at home and save on packing.
- If you plan to try the Flowrider®, make sure you have swimwear that is secure to ensure you don’t bare more than a bruised ego when you wipeout.
- Make your stay even more memorable when you become a mermaid or learn to surf the Flowrider® with special after-hour lessons.
- If you’re visiting around the holidays, make sure you take advantage of the special programming that includes free sugar cookie decorating.
- During the summer, the Kalahari has an onsite petting zoo. If you plan to check it out, visit early as they pack things in when the animals get tired.
- Check in to the Kalahari Indoor Waterpark begins at 4 p.m. but guests can pre-register beginning at noon to gain access to the waterpark.
- From April 19th until December 17th, guests are welcome to continue to use the waterpark after checking out of their rooms until the waterpark closes so pack a bag with a change of dry clothes to store in the lockers by the waterpark. Locker cost $15 plus a $5 refundable deposit.
- Also, pack a plastic bag to store your wet swimming attire for the trip home.
- Don’t miss the new attractions at the Kalahari.
New at the Kalahari Sandusky Resort in 2018
The Spa Kalahari and Salon will introduce a Float Tank! Learn to relax suspended in a weightless, silent and peaceful Epsom salt and magnesium sulfate bath in water temperatures that match your body’ own internal temperature.
The Bugs Burrow is sure to be a hit for Kalahari’s smallest guests! They can splash and play in this mind-bending experience that allows kids to imagine they are the size of a bug.
The B-Lux Grill and Bar will serve up handcrafted burgers and shakes in the American-style restaurant that serves locally sourced and fresh ingredients.
How to find Kalahari Ohio Deals
Before booking your stay, check out the current Special Offers which may include a deal on a suite, military discounts, buy one get one or Beat the Clock specials that sell last minute available inventory at discounted prices until it sells out.
What are the Kalahari Waterpark Hours?
The Indoor Kalahari Waterpark is open from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
The Outdoor Kalahari Waterpark and Adventure Park is open Memorial Day to Labor Day from 10 a.m. to dusk.
Kalahari Day Passes
A limited number of general admission passes are available to those who prefer not to stay overnight at the Kalahari waterpark. View here for current rates.
How big are the Kalahari Rooms?
Standard rooms at the Kalahari fit up to four comfortably, but there are several room types available. From the standard room to a luxury 10-bedroom villa to accommodate any size family or group.
You’ll find a plethora of accommodations nearby in Sandusky but a stay on-site allows you to relax and enjoy the resort at your leisure and depending on the size of your family, it may be more cost effective to stay at the resort. Staying at the Kalahari Resort is perfect for those traveling with little ones or older adults who may tire easily and need a nap during the day.
When was the last time you stayed at the Kalahari?
© 2018 – 2019, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.