Whether you’re a resident looking for a fun night out or simply planning you’ll find plenty of options for romantic getaways in Cleveland. Ohio’s second largest city is best known for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and their sports teams, but there are so many hidden gems in this town along the lake. Check out Romantic Getaways in the Midwest for more fun date night ideas in Ohio.”
Romantic Things to Do in Cleveland
Whether it’s your first date or 50th anniversary, Cleveland has a TON of date night activities to choose from. Sure, summer in Cleveland is the best season, but we’ve got ideas for every season, even winter!
- Wade Oval (10820 E Blvd) – Wade Oval at University Circle always has something fun going on for date night. From ice skating in the winter, to live music in the summer, check the calendar and start planning!
- West Side Market (1979 W 25th Street) – Cleveland’s oldest indoor/outdoor market is the perfect spot for a foodie date. Over 100 vendors sell seafood, meat, produce, flowers, baked goods and more! Pick up some pre-made food to go and find a sweet picnic spot. Sign up for a West Side Market tour and sample goods from select vendors while learning about the history and architecture of the building.
- Lakewood Solstice Steps (Cook Avenue, Lakewood) – this former landfill along the shore of Lake Erie has been transformed into a beautiful sunset spot in nearby Lakewood. Enjoy the sunset and Cleveland skyline from a front row seat at the lake.
- Mill Creek Falls – does a hike sound romantic to you? Then look no further than Cuyahoga County’s tallest waterfall!
- Tremont Art Walk – explore the trendy Tremont neighborhood on foot, either on your own or at the “Walkabout Tremont” even held on the second Friday each month. Enjoy street art, art galleries, boutiques, and pop-up art. If you’re walked up an appetite why not combine the art walk with a Tremont Neighborhood Food Tour?
- Holden Arboretum (9550 Sperry Road)- one of the largest botanical gardens in the US, this is the perfect spot for a romantic stroll. Over 20 miles of trails criss-cross the gardens, or you can get above the forest on the canopy walk, a walkway 65 above the forest floor.
- Chapin Forest Reservation – another spot for a romantic stroll in the woods is Chapin Forest Reservation. Enjoy a scenic overlook on Lucky Stone Loop Trail, or explore other trails by snowshoe, cross-country ski or foot.
- Rockefeller Park Greenhouse (750 E 88th St)– for free things to do in Cleveland, check out Rockefeller Park Greenhouse. The Talking Garden for the Blind is one of many highlights of a visit to Rockefeller Park Greenhouse.
- Tabletop Board Game Cafe (1810 W 25th St) – are you and your date competitive? Get those sparks flying with a rousing game of trivia, or choose from dozens of board games available for rent.
- Fairport Harbor – how about a day trip to scenic Fairport Harbor? Just 30 miles east of Cleveland, Fairport Harbor is known for some of the best beaches on Lake Erie. The village itself holds a lot of history, which you can see in several museums in town.
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad – another romantic day trip option from Cleveland is a ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. Enjoy a relaxing ride, with scenic stops, within an hour from Cleveland. Read my tips for planning your trip!
- Pose with the Cleveland Script Signs- you’ll find the signs in six locations throughout Cleveland.
Romantic Places to Eat in Cleveland
For a romantic night on the town, check out these restaurants that offer a romantic ambiance and delicious food: the perfect combination for your date night!
- L’Albatros (11401 Bellflower Road) – for a romantic French dinner in Cleveland, look no further than L’Albatros, in the University circle area. The Brasserie + Bar has an extensive cocktail menu, well-rounded wine list, and a unique French menu with rotating daily specials.
- Lola (2058 E 4th St) – this American bistro is the flagship restaurant of local chef Michael Symon. Offering a diverse menu of beautiful and tasty entrees, Lola is a great choice for a romantic dinner in Cleveland.
- Mia Bella (12200 Mayfield Road) – for Mediterranean Italian dining, head to Mia Bella Restaurant. They are known for everything from veal to tiramisu, and gluten-free pasta and pizza are also available.
- Fahrenheit (2417 Professor Avenue)- for a trendy restaurant to stay in business for nearly 20 years, you know it has to be good! Fahrenheit claims to offer a “comfortably sexy environment” and serves up signature entrees such as Kobe beef short ribs, scallops, and Ohio pork shank.
- Trio (2661 W 14th St) – this small plate spot in Tremont is the perfect place to kick off a romantic evening in Cleveland. Choose from an eclectic assortment of dishes, as well as unique cocktails and wines by the glass.
- Noble Beast Brewing (1470 Lakeside Avenue East) – beer more your style? Head to Noble Beast Brewing, for a seasonal menu focused on local ingredients. Bar food headlines alongside hearty salads and sweets.
- Nora (2181 Murray Hill Road) – this spot serves up authentic Italian food with local ingredients, in a romantic Little Italy location. The ambiance and food are so good, you’ll wonder if you didn’t take a wrong turn and wind up in New York’s Little Italy!
- Spice Kitchen + Bar (5800 Detroit Avenue) – this farm to table concept was voted Cleveland’s best new restaurant by Cleveland Magazine. Enjoy seasonal American meals and innovative cocktails at this Gordon Square District hot spot.
- Bourbon Street Barrel Room (2393 Professor Avenue) – for a taste of New Orleans in Cleveland, head to Bourbon Street Barrel Room in the Tremont district. The menu features Cajun and Creole classics, along with Po’Boys, salads, and wraps.
- Market Avenue Wine Bar (2521 Market Avenue)- this spot near the West Side Market offers seasonal appetizers and desserts, as well as a nice wine selection.
Romantic Places to Stay in Cleveland
There are dozens of romantic Cleveland hotels to choose from: modern luxury hotels, historic hotels and quaint B&B’s. These are some of the best romantic hotels in Cleveland.
- Kimpton Schofield Hotel (2000 E Ninth St) – a modern hotel in a landmark building makes the perfect romantic getaway in Cleveland’s downtown district. Enjoy dozens of restaurants within walking distance, or stay in with room service for the ultimate treat. Become a Rewards Club Member and Enjoy our Lowest Rates!
- Glidden House (1901 Ford Drive) – this boutique hotel at University Circle is on the National Register of Historic Places, as the building dates back to 1910. Enjoy modern service in a historic, luxury setting.
- Ritz Carlton Cleveland (1515 W 3rd St) – for the ultimate luxury hotel in Cleveland, look no further than the Ritz Carlton. Known worldwide for opulence and elegance, the Cleveland property is no exception. The finest hotel in downtown Cleveland.
- Metropolitan at the 9 (2017 E 9th St) – Not enough Marriott points for the Ritz? Then look to the Metropolitan, an Autograph Collection hotel in the heart of downtown. From the rooftop bar to the bank vault in the basement, this place oozes romance.
- Stone Gables Bed and Breakfast (3806 Franklin Blvd) – this historic home offers five bedrooms to guests. Enjoy a whirlpool suite on Cleveland’s West Side, not far from the West Side Market.
- Emerald Necklace Inn (18840 Lorain Rd) – this Victorian home dates back to 1863 and now offers three guestroom suites and a tea room that is perfect for celebrating a special occasion. Romantic packages can be purchased to include wine, fruit, and breakfast.
- Washington Place Bistro & Inn (2203 Cornell Road) – for an overnight getaway in Cleveland’s Little Italy, head to the Washington Place Inn. Seven guest rooms come with free brunch at the bistro downstairs.
- Hyatt Regency at the Arcade (420 Superior Avenue East) -located in a historic landmark building from the 1890s, located at The Arcade, this stunning property is probably the most seen Cleveland hotel on Instagram. Make sure to book a room overlooking the Arcade for the best photo.
- Hilton Cleveland Downtown (100 Lakeside Avenue East) – the views are amazing from Bar 32, one of Cleveland’s hottest new rooftop bars. Located on the free trolley line, you can easily walk or ride to Cleveland’s most popular downtown attractions if you feel the need to go out.
Save a bit off your hotel so you can spend more other places with this hotel deal: Save $5 when you spend $50+ with code 5OFF50US. Book by 12/31/19. Travel by 3/31/20.
More Resources for Planning a Romantic Cleveland Trip
Have you spent time in Cleveland? What would you recommend for a romantic getaway?
© 2019, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.