The newest post in our series of Romantic Getaways in the Midwest is focused on romantic getaways in Michigan City.
This beach town on the south shore of Lake Michigan is the perfect spot for a romantic Midwest getaway. Just 60 miles from Chicago or Elkhart, less than three hours from Indianapolis and 3.5 hours from Detroit, it’s easy to reach Michigan City, Indiana. Keep reading to find out what to do, where to eat and where to stay in a romantic getaway in Michigan City, Indiana.
Romantic Things to Do in Michigan City
With a prime location on Lake Michigan, many of the best things to do in Michigan City are outdoors, but no matter what your ideal date is, you are sure to find something fun in Michigan City. Here are a few ideas to help you start planning your romantic getaway in Michigan City.
- Michigan City Lighthouse & Pier – the face of Michigan City is the lighthouse and pier along the lakefront. Whether you want to hang out at the adjacent beach for the day, or just take a sunset stroll along the pier, do not miss a visit to the Michigan City lighthouse and museum.
- Barker Mansion (631 Washington St) – history and architecture aficionados will want to check out the Barker Mansion. Built by John Barker, a railroad magnate, this stately 1857 home is open for guided tours and self-guided tours. (Currently closed for the season)
- Friendship Botanic Gardens (2055 E Highway 12) – the botanic gardens are the perfect place for a romantic stroll through nature. There are three miles of trails here, and gardens representing over a dozen countries.
- Lubeznik Center for the Arts (101 W 2nd St) – this is the place for art lovers of all kinds. From poetry slams to rotating art exhibitions to a children’s story time, there is always something going on at the Lubeznik Center for the Arts.
- Blue Chip Casino Hotel & Spa (777 Blue Chip Drive) – whether you come to try your hand at slots, or just want to relax in the spa, the Blue Chip Casino is a destination all its own. Couples services at the spa include a pedicure and dozens of massage and facial options.
- Indiana Dunes National Park – America’s newest National Park is just 20 minutes outside of Michigan City. Enjoy hiking, swimming or kayaking along the shore of Lake Michigan, against a backdrop of scenic sand dunes.
Romantic Places to Eat in Michigan City
Before or after your outdoor adventures in Michigan City, grab a bite and a drink at one of these romantic places to eat in Michigan City, Indiana.
- Fiddlehead Restaurant (422 Franklin St) – this new spot has an eclectic menu that starts with a fiddlehead salad. Tons of appetizers, salads, burgers and more, backed by an extensive cocktail and wine list.
- Bartlett’s Gourmet Grill & Tavern (131 W Dunes Highway 12) – for a mix of American and Mediterranean cuisine, Bartlett’s Gourmet Grill serves up unique dishes like duck confit wontons and andouille corn dogs. Burgers, chicken, pork chops and seafood are also served in this unassuming hidden spot near the National Park.
- Blue Chip Casino Hotel & Spa (777 Blue Chip Drive) – for fine dining in Michigan City, look no further than William B’s Steakhouse in the Blue Chip Casino. This winner of the Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence has an extensive steak and seafood menu.
- Taverna Tonelli (521 Franklin St) – fine Italian dining in the heart of Michigan City. Enjoy rustic Italian cuisine with a great wine list and dessert options to boot!
- Patrick’s Grill (4125 Franklin St) – Patrick’s Grill boats “fine dining in an upscale casual atmosphere.” Come on Saturday for prime rib, or any other night for a variety of steak, seafood and salads, accompanied by an extensive craft beer, bourbon and wine menu.
- Hokkaido Restaurant (725 Franklin St) – when only sushi will do for your date night, head to Hokkaido for good sushi at reasonable prices. A great date night dinner that won’t break the bank.
Romantic Places to Stay in Michigan City
The best part of a romantic getaway in Michigan City is finding the perfect place to sleep over after a day of exploring. Enjoy the quiet of Michigan City once the day trips crowds have gone home by staying at any of these Michigan City hotels.
- Serenity Springs (5888 N US-35, LaPorte) – the best romantic getaway hotel in Michigan city is Serenity Springs. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at this quaint village of cabins just ten minutes outside of Michigan City.
- Blue Chip Casino Hotel & Spa (777 Blue Chip Drive) – for a more modern romantic getaway in Michigan City, consider one of the newest hotels in town. The Blue Chip Casino Hotel has beautiful guest rooms with convenient access to the spa and casino.
- The Brewery Lodge (5727 N 600 W) – this boutique hotel is surrounded by nature yet only minutes from all the fun things to do in Michigan City. Choose from 14 suites surrounding the 1930 main house which is now a craft beer and cocktail bar.
- Duneland Beach Inn (3311 Pottawattomie Trail) – this historic property was recently remodeled to include eight luxurious guest suites. This is the only resort in Northwest Indiana with access to a private beach on Lake Michigan.
Things you may Enjoy on a Romantic Getaway
Have you visited any of these locations near Michigan City? Which would you recommend?
© 2019, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.