- 20+ Fantastic Things to do in Ohio in March to Tempt You Out of Your House - January 18, 2024
- Winter Fun: Ice Festivals in Ohio - January 8, 2024
- 20+ Fun Things to do in Ohio in February (2024) - December 26, 2023
Some traveler’s enjoy trying new foods as much as they enjoy traveling to new destinations and experiencing new cultures. To them, travel wouldn’t have the same feel if they didn’t partake of some local delicacy. My husband and I have never been one of those people that love trying new foods when traveling.
When we travel with our three teens, our idea of adventurous eating is to order a pizza from a local business and not a chain. As far as our kids are concerned, you really can’t go wrong with pizza. And that’s true, the majority of the time.
But sometimes you visit an area that is known for a delicious drink, entrée or desert and it seems a shame to not try something new or take the opportunity to eat an old favorite in a new locale. Taste of America, a Culinary Tour of USA, shares some of America’s favorite foods like coffee, Key Lime Pie and Chili Con Carne and the locations that made them famous.
So how can you be assured that you won’t miss out on trying something that the area you’re visiting is known for?
– Do a bit of research before you travel.
A google search or a review site can provide you with several suggestions. I have also found it helpful to ask for recommendations on some of my social media channels like Facebook and Twitter.
– Ask the locals.
I’ve found that people generally enjoy being helpful and are willing to share their knowledge. Ask the front desk attendant at your hotel, or ask people that you pass on the street for recommendations.
– Stop at a Visitors Center en route to your destination and talk to the attendants. They should be able to answer your questions, make meal suggestions and to share about the local area.
Bottom line, be prepared. You don’t want to travel to New Orleans and leave the city without buying and eating a beignet, right?
What are some foods that stick out in your mind from your travels?