- 20 Unique Gift Ideas for Road Trippers - November 22, 2023
- The Best Christmas Light Displays in Ohio in 2023 - November 13, 2023
- 21 Drive Through Christmas Lights in Ohio (Updated for 2023) - November 7, 2023
Here in Ohio, we’re right in the midst of winter. And I’ll admit, I love to look out my window from the warmth of my home and admire the tree branches laden with snow, but I can’t help but hope for an early spring. I’ve hit that point where cabin fever has begun to set in and I long for the days when I can throw on a pair of capris and tennis shoes and tromp through the woods.
Some of my favorite places to visit during warmer weather is one of Ohio’s many State Parks. Did you know Ohio has 75 state parks with more than 1,000 miles of hiking and bike trails? Most of the park areas are open year round and offer winter activities that include sledding, snowmobiling, cross-county skiing, ice skating and ice fishing. I just enjoy being outside more when it’s warmer. I know, call me wimpy if you must but that’s just me. My idea of a great time outdoors is light hiking, camping at one of the state park campgrounds, or enjoying a boat ride on one of the many lakes within the state park system.
There is much to celebrate about Ohio State Parks, and we Buckeyes should be proud.
Four Surprising Facts you May Not Know About Ohio State Parks
- Hocking Hills State Park was the only U.S. location identified in Buzzfeed’s list of “22 Stunning Under-The-Radar Destinations to Add to Your Bucket List in 2017.” Just because it’s 2015 doesn’t mean Hocking Hills State Park is any less stunning. And if you love to hike, the Hocking Hills region is full of amazing trails to follow.
- CNN Travel recognized Headlands Beach State Park in Mentor as one of 20 ‘can’t-miss’ U.S. beaches.
- Mansfield, Ohio native and Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Louis Bromfield, established Malabar Farm in Malabar Farm State Park in 1939. He penned several best-selling books during his time at Malabar and entertained Hollywood legends. Most notable events were the wedding to film idols Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in 1945 in the Big House.
- The Mohican State Park/Mohican State Forest was recognized for its mountain biking trail by Runner’s World Magazine.
All this and Ohio State Parks offer free admission– one of only seven states to do so.
Exploring Ohio State Parks as Mother and Daughter
Visiting Marblehead Lighthouse State Park
Ohio State Park Lodges- Why You Should Plan a Getaway
Hike the Pleasant Hill Trail at Ohio’s Mohican State Park
15 Things to do with the Family at Malabar Farm State Park