The Traveling Praters presents Travel Inspired Living.
Join me as I begin a new series, Cooking in a Hotel Room. I’ll kick off the series by showing you how to create your own portable kitchen, followed by weekly posts featuring quick and easy meals that you can create on the go, wrapping it all up with a fun giveaway that you won’t want to miss.
Have you ever gone on vacation and longed for a home cooked meal? I have. Plenty of times. That’s why when I prepare to travel and seek out a great hotel room, I try to reserve a room with a kitchenette. But sometimes that’s not possible and other times, even though I do manage to snag a room with a kitchen, the kitchen isn’t properly stocked with basic cooking tools, making it hard to prepare the meals I planned.
So what is a traveler to do?
That’s easy. If you’re planning to do some cooking in a hotel room, you should spend a few minutes creating a portable kitchen that is sure to serve you well on your next road trip.
Just what is a portable kitchen anyway?
A portable kitchen is simply a collection of basic kitchen utensils and items you need to create quick and easy meals in your hotel room. Just so you know, I’m not talking gourmet, but you should be able to create good basic meals while you’re traveling with little advance preparation.
Gathering kitchen utensils and other supplies.
It’s important to note that my portable kitchen won’t look the same as yours. I have spent a large number of years traveling and preparing meals in a hotel room so what I opt to pack is based on what I’ve found lacking in most hotel room kitchenettes.
My list of supplies includes:
- A small Crockpot is perfect for heating up soups or even browning hamburger in a pinch.
- A small baking sheet- I use the baking sheet that came with my toaster oven. It’s small and doesn’t take up a lot of room.
- A can opener. I can’t tell you how many kitchenettes are missing a can opener.
- A small cutting board and paring knife.
- A large plastic serving spoon and/or spatula.
- A Collapsible Mixing Bowl (I actually have two of different sizes).
- A colander.
- A set of measuring cups.
Thank you to Squish by Robinson Home Products for providing me with some products to try.
Squish offers a line of collapsible products that are perfect for rounding out your portable kitchen without sacrificing valuable space.
- A dish towel and scrubbing sponge.
- Dish washing liquid.
- Clorox wipes.
I pack all my supplies in a medium sized plastic tote that can also serve as a makeshift sink if I need it to.
Other items that may come in handy.
- Ziploc bags.
- Aluminum Foil.
- Cooking Spray.
- Salt, Pepper and basic spices.
- Paper plates, bowls and plastic ware for easy clean-up.
I keep my portable kitchen packed and ready to go at all times so when an opportunity to travel arises, we’re ready to go with minimal preparation, ensuring that my family can continue to eat home cooked meals, even on the go.
- Don’t forget to stop back next week when I begin to share some of the quick and easy recipes that you can easily prepare in a hotel room.
What would you add to your portable kitchen?
Disclaimer: I was provided with Squish products to use for the purpose of writing a review (to come). No further compensation was provided. This post does contain affiliate links.
© 2013 – 2017, Tonya Prater. All rights reserved.