Are you planning a Route 66 road trip and are looking for resources to help you plan? You’re in luck! Today, we’re sharing the best books about Route 66!
So, you’re thinking about setting out on Route 66 for the ultimate American road trip? While I love the world wide web for gleaning tips and information, there is nothing like holding a book in your hands and thumbing through the pages to find those nuggets of inspiration to convince you to sit down and make a plan.
To aid you in your hunt for the best Route 66 guide book, we’ve rounded up a bunch of Route 66 books to get you excited about planning a journey on the “Mother Road.” Some of these are the books we used when planning our own Route 66 road trips.
Books About Route 66
Looking for inspiration to make your Route 66 plans? These books were inspired by journeys along this iconic road, and just might be the inspiration you need to plan your own Route 66 road trip!
- The Grapes of Wrath – possibly the most famous book about Route 66, John Steinbeck depicts the westward migration of a Depression-era farming family. Not the most uplifting book about Route 66, but this Route 66 classic novel is a good place to start learning about the history of the great road.
- Route 66: The Mother Road 75th Anniversary Edition– Not only is Michael Wallis passionate about Route 66, but he’s also passionate about capturing and sharing the stories of the people who have lived along this famous motor route. I was blessed to hear Michael speak two years ago and his enthusiasm is contagious.
- Legendary Route 66: A Journey Through Time Along America’s Mother Road – another historic perspective, with over 600 photographs of Route 66 symbols and roadside attractions.
Route 66 Guide Books
Now that you’re inspired, it’s time to start actually making a plan to hit the road. These Route 66 Guide Books are a great place to start!
- Moon Route 66 Road Trip – Moon Guides cover nearly every corner of the globe and this Route 66 travel guide is a great place to dive into the nitty-gritty details of where to eat, where to sleep and where to stop and explore!
- The Best Hits on Route 66: 100 Essential Stops on the Mother Road – not only does this book provide a list of the best stops along Route 66, but it also offers several alternative itineraries, such as a Native American history itinerary, one for music lovers, and ideas for road trips with kids.
- Secret Route 66: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful and Obscure– this book shares interesting and little known facts about the happenings along this historic highway and makes for a fun and easy read on your drive.
Route 66 Planners & Maps
Having a Route 66 planner and couple of maps are crucial to a successful Route 66 road trip. Check out a few of these before you go; and remember, half the fun is in the planning and navigation!
- Route 66: EZ66 Guide for Travelers – this spiral-bound guide includes maps, tips, games and more.
- Here it is! Route 66 Map Series – the ultimate set of maps for Route 66. With turn-by-turn instructions, this set includes eight maps, one for each state you will pass through on Route 66.
- Route 66 Travel Journal: A Road Trip Notebook/Travel Journey/Diary – 200 lined journal pages are perfect for planning your trip and keeping a journal along the way so you will always have something look back on.
Route 66 Audio Books
Prefer to listen to your books rather than read them? These Route 66 Audio Books are a great way to learn about the Mother Road without straining your eyes!
- Route 66 – America’s Main Street: The Complete Route 66 Collection – over three hours of narrated stories from the road, this series of stories will inspire you to hit the road or linger just a bit longer on your trip.
- Billy Connolly’s Route 66: The Big Yin on the Ultimate American Road Trip – Follow along as this British comedian takes on America’s Main Street.
Route 66 Children’s Books
While kids may not appreciate the history and nostalgia of Route 66, they’ve probably seen the Pixar movie Cars. In addition to a re-screening of Tow Mater and friends. you can help build their enthusiasm for the trip with these children’s books about Route 66.
- Route 66 Coloring Book – for kids ages 4-8, this 24-page coloring book has coloring pages and activities to keep kids occupied during your trip.
- Annie Mouse’s Route 66 Adventure – follow Annie Mouse and her family as they travel along Route 66 from Illinois to California. Even adults will love this whimsical journey!
Route 66 Coloring Books
Maybe you’re looking for time to fill until your Route 66 adventure begins, or maybe you’re the co-pilot on the trip and you want to create a visual memory of your Route 66 trip. These Route 66 coloring books are perfect for you!
- Route 66 Splendor – created by an artist from St. Louise, this adult coloring book is the perfect companion to a Route 66 road trip. 104 perforated pages incorporate iconic scenes from the Mother Road.
- Coloring Along America’s Highway – this 84-page large-print coloring book features classic cars set against recognizable backdrops that you can find along Route 66.
- Route 66, The Colorful West – this 72-page coloring book features detailed scenes from 36 different Route 66 destinations. Perfect for adults or kids!
LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ROUTE 66? WE HAVE A FEW MORE POSTS YOU MAY ENJOY:
Leaving our Mark on Cadillac Ranch
Must-See Roadside Attractions Along Route 66
Route 66 Rocker: Former World’s Largest Rocking Chair Along Route 66
The Leaning Water Tower Roadside Attraction Along Route 66
Dinosaur Roadside Attractions Across the U.S.
Products to Enhance your Road Trip
Be sure to come back and let us know which Route 66 book is your favorite!